The On the Edge main competition has been announced. Among nine entries from 16 countries, two are Russian productions: Boris Khlebnikov's "Arrhythmia" and Rezo Gigineishvili's "Hostages".
The Japanese "Our Escape" directed by Nobuteru Uchida will have its international premiere at the festival. Other titles from the main competition have already been awarded at Venice, Berlin, Locarno, Tribeca, Hong Kong, and Edinburgh.
Aleksei Medvedev, Director of Programming:
"Previously, the structure of the main competition was defined by the interaction between Russian films, which constituted almost a half, and Asian selections. Now, however, our program has gained a more global perspective.
Alongside entries from the neighboring countries, such as Japan or South Korea, there are movies from Argentina and France. Oriental exotica has taken a backseat to stories of our "small motherlands" that we all have to leave at some point to come back later on."
- Arrhythmia (2017, Russia-Finland-Germany) Directed by Boris Khlebnikov
- Ice Mother (2017, The Czech Republic-Slovakia-France). Directed by Bohdan Slama
- Hostages (2016-2017, Russia-Georgia-Poland). Directed by Rezo Gigineishvili
- A Prayer Before Dawn (2017, France-UK). Directed by Jean-Stephane Sauvaire
- Our Escape (2016, Japan). Directed by Nobuteru Uchida
- Newton (2017, India). Directed by Amir Masurkar